Friday, November 5, 2010

Rocky and Bullwinkle

So my lovely husband decides that our children would look adorable as Rocky and Bullwinkle for Halloween.




I just laughed and then proceeded to spend hours scouring the internet for costumes. What do you know, no costumes. So now I realize I'm going to have to make them. Ugh. After much trial and error, I finally have a working pattern for the moose head.


A few tips on when you make your own pattern. Always be sure to try the pattern out with scrap fabric first just to make sure you have all the kinks worked out.




Don't you just love my moose head in progress?



For the squirrel head I was lucky enough to find a dog costume that I could redo. Not that the body would work, but I was able to redesign the head so I didn't have to make the entire thing from scratch. Here's the squirrel costume I found.
As for the bodies I wanted to take the easy route, I used a McCalls dragon costume pattern. I didn't need to use the tail, spikes or claws and on the squirrel I redesigned the feet so they would be smaller. Overall I wasn't very happy with the pattern because I felt it ran much larger in size. I ended up having to take both costumes in and I still felt they were too large.
(Cutting the fur fabric turned out to be very messy and a bit of a pain. I would definitely recommend using sharp scissors to cut it.)
While I was looking around Etsy one day I ran across a shop that had the perfect eyes for this project. I was actually cutting it really close by ordering a week before Halloween but the seller was amazing and shipped them out to me the same day I ordered.


So in the end they did at least come out looking like a moose and a squirrel. *Note to self* Take pictures at the beginning of the night when they're still happy rather than the end.



They were so ready for bed.

2 comments:

  1. Terra I had no idea you made those costumes! They looked so amazing. You are such an wonderful gifted person :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an AWESOME job on those costumes!!! I'm so impressed! I like to make my boys costumes too, but I never do that great of a job! Anyway, they look great!!

    ReplyDelete